Join WAND and SNA-WI for the 2017 Legislative Advocacy Day
Wednesday, March 15, 2017
at the Madison Club
5 East Wilson Street
Madison, WI 53703
Advocating on behalf of RDNs, DTRs, and the people they serve at the State Capitol is critical, and WAND urges you to join us for our annual day at the Capitol in Madison on Wednesday, March 15, 2017.
WAND members who attend the event will have an opportunity to meet with their state legislators to discuss key nutrition policies, promote the benefits of the RDN and DTR professions, and discuss WAND's legislative priorities. Prior to the afternoon meetings with legislators, participating members will hear from high-level speakers, take part in issue briefings, and legislative advocacy training.
WAND is pleased to be partnering with the School Nutrition Association of Wisconsin (SNA - WI). WAND and SNA-WI Members will be paired together to make legislative visits.
8:15 AM - Check In, Networking & Breakfast (provided)
8:45 AM - Welcome from WAND and SNA-WI Leadership
8:50 AM - Issue Briefing, WAND and SNA-WI Lobbyist
9:30 AM - Senator Roger Roth
9:45 AM - Representative Dianne Hesselbein
10:00 AM - PAC and Action Alert Presentation
10:15 AM - Break
10:25 AM - Legislative Advocacy Presentation, WAND and SNA-WI Lobbyist
11:00 AM - Legislative Meeting Preparation: Role-playing, 2-minute scenarios, and talking points, WAND & SNA-WI Lobbyists
11:45 AM - Lunch
12:45 PM - Depart for Capitol
1:00 PM - Legislative Meetings:
1st round at 1:00 pm, 2nd round at 1:30 pm, 3rd round at 2:00 pm, 4th round at 2:30 pm
Learning Objectives: By the end of Advocacy Legislative Day, attendees will:
1. Understand the importance of active advocacy for the profession of registered dietitians and the health of Wisconsin citizens with the State Legislature
2. Learn how to effectively communicate with legislators through refining persuasive political advocacy writing and speech
3. Learn current information on nutrition-related legislative and regulatory issues which impact the dietetic profession in Wisconsin
4. Have increased confidence in his/her ability to advocate on nutrition issues with legislators and other policy makers
5. Learn that talking to legislators is fun and impacts our profession!
Approved for 3 CPEUs!
There is no fee to attend! Use the link
above to register today!
Taste of Advocacy Day - Webinar Presentations
Advocacy Day Introduction - View presentation (12:41)
Cassandra Vanderwall, MS, RD, CD, CDE, CPT, LDN
Legislative Advocacy Training for Future RDNs - View Presentation (20:11)
Michael Welsh, JD - Hoven Consulting, Inc.
Preparing Your Elevator Speech - View Presentation (12:04)
Denice Nycz, RD, CSG, CD, HFS
WAND Political Action Committee - View Presentation (5:34)
Cassie Vanderwall, MS, RD, CDE, CD, CPT