Join fellow WAND members in the support of our educational initiative focused on diversity in dietetics and welcome Shiva Bidar-Sielaff, Chief Diversity Officer at UW Health, as we:
- Gain understanding of healthcare disparities and equity.
- Learn ways in which you can work on addressing disparities and providing culturally and linguistically relevant care.
About the Presenter:
Shiva Bidar is the Chief Diversity Officer at UW Health, an integrated health system serving 618,000 patients each year in Wisconsin, Northern Illinois and beyond with 1,400 physicians, six hospitals, and 80 outpatient sites. In this capacity, Ms. Bidar provides vision, coordination and strategic leadership for the design and implementation of UW Health's initiatives related to diversity, equity, and inclusion. During her tenure at UW Heath, Ms. Bidar has developed a model interpreter services program and served as an organization-wide resource on cultural competency and diversity issues.
On a national level, Shiva has worked extensively on issues of equal access to health care for limited English proficient (LEP) individuals. She is nationally recognized for her work in the area of medical interpretation and is a frequent speaker at national conferences on cultural competence and health care interpreting. She served on the Board member of the National Council on Interpreting in Health Care for 15 years leading the work on the National Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice for Healthcare Interpreters. She serves as a founding commissioner of the Commission for Healthcare Interpreter Certification.
Ms. Bidar has made significant contributions to the community holding many key roles, including co-chair of the Latino Health Council of Dane County, member of the Madison College Board of Trustees, Madison Community Foundation board member and United Way of Dane County Vision Council member. Ms. Bidar is a founding member and co-chair of the Madison Area Diversity Roundtable, a coalition of employers committed to diversity and inclusionary practices.
Ms. Bidar also serves on the City of Madison Common Council. She was first elected in 2009. She has served as the Common Council President Pro-Tem and President.
Ms. Bidar is actively engaged in many philanthropic and community based events, holding multiple board appointments and supporting numerous community causes. Her work in the areas of diversity, equity and inclusion has been recognized with the following awards:
- 2016 “15 of Madison’s Most Influential People” In Business Magazine
- 2016 ATHENA Leadership Award Recipient
- 2010 City-County MLK Jr. Humanitarian Award
- 2005 YWCA Woman of Distinction Award
- 2002 "One of the 50 most influential Madisonians" Madison Magazine
- 2000 City of Madison/Dane County Public Health Award for Multicultural Health Care
- BA, Université du Hainaut, Mons, Belgium
- MA, Monterey Institute of International Studies, Monterey, California
- Certificate in Diversity Management in Health Care (CDM), Institute for Diversity in Healthcare/Georgetown University
Approved for 1 CPE hour
Please contact the WAND office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 920-560-5619 if you have any questions.