In this hands-on session, learn how to prepare and present cooking demonstrations that will dazzle your audience. From start to finish, seasoned experts in culinary nutrition, will lead you through the entire process culminating a final mini-live cooking demo you'll do at the end of the course. All food, ingredients and equipment will be provided. Additional information about safety and sanitation will be sent to participants prior to the course. Limited to 12 attendees due to time and space constraints.
Cost to Attend:
- WAND Member: $40
- Non-Member: $200
- Betty Holloway, Bariatric Dietitian, ProHealth Care Weight Management Services
- Vicki Karwacki, Sr. Director Workplace Wellness, YMCA of Metropolitan Milwaukee
- Patti Baldwin, Corporate Wellness, Program Director, YMCA of Metropolitan Milwaukee
- Introductions (0:00)
- Why Cooking Demos (0:10)
- Planning a Cooking Demo (0:20)
- Task One: Considerations for Cooking Demos (0:30)
- Special Considerations (1:00)
- Recipe Testing (1:15)
- Task Two: Recipe Evaluation (1:30)
- Preparation (2:00)
- Task Three: Supply Planning (2:15)
- Practicing your Passion (2:45)
- Task Four: Put it into Action (3:00)
- Review and Resources (3:45)
- Goodbyes and enjoy creations (4:00)
After attending this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Describe why being able to conduct demonstrations is a valuable skill for dietitians and dietetic technicians.
- Utilize skills from food stylists, media spokesperson, and chefs to make your cooking demos appear effortless and magical.
- Execute a professional, memorable, and captivating cooking demonstration.
*All attendees will be required to wear clothing and footwear appropriate for a commercial kitchen. Hair should be restrained, closed-toed shoes, form-fitting clothing. Aprons will be provided. Participants will also be asked to sign an injury waiver prior to attending.
Betty Holloway, MNS, RD, CD
Betty received her master’s degree in clinical nutrition from Cornell University. She is also a registered dietitian and the mother of five children. "I believe that a tasty variety of fresh, digestible, colorful foods prepared with skill and attention not only provides optimal nutrition, but also a sense of well-being that permeates into all aspects of life. "My goal is to encourage awareness of the creative process inherent in the transformation of raw ingredients and basic cooking skills into a source of joy and vitality - a blend of art and science."