2019-20 President's Message from Amy Giffin
Thursday, June 20, 2019
Dear Fellow Wisconsin Academy Members,
I am so excited to be able to serve this year as President for WAND! There are so many amazing people who have helped me get to where I am today, starting with Amanda Henderson, Kayleen Weister, and Joan Ewig who encouraged me to get involved with the then called Milwaukee Dietetic Association just as I was finishing my internship 8 years ago. I didn’t know that I would come to meet and learn from so many other incredible dietitians along the way.
I also want to thank Karen Lacey who was the President when I took the role as the Southeastern Region Representative our first year in transition to the Regional Model we have today. She had the courage to lead us through major beneficial changes. I have to thank Emily Wallace who was the President that convinced me to run as Professional Education Chair and Sarah Agena who convinced me to run as President. In addition, a thank you to our most recent former Presidents, Christina Lemon and Laura Isaacson who have been great mentors coming into this role.
Thank you to Mike Glasgow, Cassie Vanderwall, and Tracey Elmes who have also inspired me to be more active with Public Policy efforts. And thank you to many other people I’ve worked with along the way, I apologize I can’t take the time to mention you all! If you know these incredible people or anyone else who has volunteered their time with WAND, tell them thanks! And if you do not know them, take the time to reach out and connect!
By far the most valuable part of being a member of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics is the connections I’ve formed along the way. I’m looking forward to this year and I hope that each of you form new connections and utilize all the great resources being a member of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics allows.
I am so excited for everything this year has in store for you. Not only do we have an incredible Executive Board, we have committee members and regional leaders who are working together to ensure that we continue to move our profession forward! We are working together to provide you with membership benefits year-around and all throughout Wisconsin.
Here is a sneak peak into what we are working on this year:
- We will continue to offer to webinars throughout the year to ensure that you are staying up to date on the latest evidence-based nutrition research.
- We will continue to host regional events that provide networking, education, and professional growth opportunities.
- We will continue to provide you with the most up to date nutrition information to meet your professional development needs through our website and social media channels (Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, YouTube, and now Instagram).
- We will be creating and sharing messages in new and more engaging ways to ensure everyone is in the loop!
- We will continue to offer a wonderfully fun and educational annual conference being held April 1-3, 2020 at the beautiful Osthoff Resort in Elkhart Lake.
- We will offer student and professional awards as well as a research scholarship. We will be leading new fundraising efforts to fund additional scholarships for future years.
- We will host our 7th Annual National Nutrition Month Video Contest. You can check out the past videos on our YouTube page.
- We will be sharing videos each month introducing a featured member, you can check out the first video featuring Andrea Moosreiner here.
- And more!
As you may know, 20 percent of your Academy dues come back to Wisconsin to support our operating budget. Membership dues are our largest source of revenue and we use those funds to provide services and benefits to members. The Executive Board is committed to expanding member services and benefits so please stay in touch and tell us what we can do for you! You can learn more about what each of our committees do and more about WAND involvement by watching these short videos here. If you’d like to get involved, fill out the form here.
I’m excited to serve as your President for the 2019-2020 year and hope to see you soon at one of our events!
And finally, my biggest THANK YOU is to YOU – all of our members – for this amazing opportunity and honor to serve you! I look forward to a great year!
Amanda (Amy) Giffin, MS, RDN, CD, SNS
President, Wisconsin Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
WAND Past and Future Board Members at the 2019-20 Changeover Meeting in May