Get Involved! Food Day is October 24th
Monday, September 14, 2015
Food Day inspires Americans to change their diets and our food policies. Every October 24, thousands of events all around the country bring Americans together to celebrate and enjoy real food and to push for improved food policies.
How can you help Wisconsinites participate in this annual event? Here are four simple opportunities to consider:
1. Host an Apple Crunch. Great for schools, corporate cafeterias and more, this unifying action brings awareness about eating better diets for our health and the environment, access and affordability of fruits and vegetables, and supporting local farmers.
• Learn more about hosting an Apple Crunch (watch the video!)
• Sign up your Apple Crunch event
2. Promote an online Real Food Drive. It doesn’t get easier to donate than with an online food drive site that raises funds for fresh produce and other healthy foods — at no cost to organizers.
• Learn more about the online Real Food Drive
• Send an email to RealFoodTeam@ampyourgood.com to get involved
3. Use resources from the Green Meal initiative. This initiative promotes the enjoyment of plant-based foods as the center of the plate. Resources have been specially made for K-12 schools as well as for businesses to showcase the operational and financial benefits of offering more sustainable menus.
• View the Green Meal initiative resources
• Join the conversation online with the hashtag #GreenMeal
4. Host a screening of Food for Thought, Food for Life, a film that inspires viewers to think differently about what we eat, and to make changes that will positively impact our health, our environment and our communities.
• Watch the film trailer
• Host a screening, complete with discussion guide and toolkit
And these aren’t all the opportunities Food Day 2015 has to offer. Join the 10-Day Local Food Challenge or get the word out about Food Day on social media. Check out the Food Day resources that have been developed for use by schools, colleges and universities, businesses and healthcare facilities.
Planning to participate? Let us know! Share how you and your organization plan to join in on the Food Day action by sending an email to Olivia at email@example.com.