Wisconsin Primary Election Results
Thursday, August 11, 2016
Election season has officially arrived in Wisconsin. Voters headed to the polls yesterday to cast their ballots in partisan primary elections across the state. Listed below are the results for a number of closely watched primary races for Congress, state legislature and even a local race:
- 1st Congressional District - In a primary contest followed nationally, Republican incumbent Paul Ryan, Speaker of the U.S. House, easily defeated Paul Nehlen, 84%-16%, in the GOP primary contest.
- 8th Congressional District - In the GOP primary for the open congressional seat vacated by Rep. Reid Ribble (R), Mike Gallagher came out on top with 74% of the vote. The military veteran and national security expert beat out State Sen. Frank Lasee and Terry McNulty for the chance to face Outagamie County Exec Tom Nelson (D) in the November general election.
State Senate Races:
- 4th Senate District (Milwaukee) - In a race many thought she could lose, Incumbent Lena Taylor handily defeated State Rep. Mandela Barnes (D), 61%-39%, in the DEM primary.
- 18th Senate District - In the GOP primary for the open state senate seat vacated by State Sen. Rick Gudex (R), Dan Feyen captured 56% of the vote to beat Mark Elliott for the right to square off against Winnebago County Exec Mark Harris (D) in the general election.
State Assembly Races:
- 9th Assembly District (Milwaukee) - Longtime Democratic incumbent Josh Zepnick (D) survived the evening, squeaking by his DEM primary opponent with 53% of the vote.
- 11th Assembly District (Milwaukee) - Jason Fields, a former state representative, appears to be headed back to the Assembly in Nov., after winning his DEM primary race.
- Milwaukee County District Attorney - Incumbent John Chisholm held of his primary opponent, Verona Swanigan, with 65% of the vote.
For a complete update of yesterday's results, please visit the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel primary election page.